SHOULD GIVING BE VALUE WEIGHTED?

So because I am restless and by nature a wanderer, I went to Unilag today, I was to see a friend I hadn't seen in a while and I was legit looking forward to that.

So when I got there, my friend hadn't arrived and I was with my sister so I went off for a bit on a little walk to just stretch my legs, on the walk back I saw something that caught my eyes, like I mean, on an ordinary day this sort of thing wouldn't catch my eyes but it did, it was a billboard (see below for the details)

The church billboard


For people who know my religious proclivity, they know I am naturally suspicious of organized religion and it's intricacies, but this was just reaching for me, the church in its bid to raise money for it's chaplaincy was soliciting funds and to be perfectly UNDERSTANDABLE, I do not have a thing against that, my understanding is that giving and receiving is a foundational part of any faith.

On the billboard the church made various categorizations of giving, a plan if you will, that ranged from bronze to silver, gold and platinum based on how much was being gifted to the cause. This essentially struck me as odd, not the giving part but that the church would segregate giving in such a manner.

What I cannot  condone or accept Is this stratification of gifts based on their monetary value, this church for all essence is saying that a certain amount of gifting is higher than another and by all means that is a wrong idea to inculcate.

Giving should never be about the value, rather it should be based on the intent, gifts should not be split into Gold or platinum or anything, a gift should be a gift and that Is final in my mind.



Comments

Popular Posts