DO GOOD 4 ME?


Scribblings by beggars at Obanikoro, Lagos State.

I have a fascination with the Bible, always have, always will, it's a consequence of my background I suppose, my mother made sure of that and the majority of my moral inclinations are from those earlier days (I was a child pastor when I was young), I enjoyed the Bible primarily because it was a big story book and more or less like a collectors book of wise words.

In one obscure corner of the Bible there are certain words that I read that have forever changed my outlook on life

       THERE WOULD ALWAYS BE POOR                                   AMONGST YOU

My 8 years old self could not conceptualize that, the Bible in all of its splendor and wisdom claiming that poverty would never end, but as i have journyed on my life's trail, read diverse literatures and sampled resplendent events, various experiences have crystallized the truth I glanced all those years ago, certain people would always lack, not because of a paucity of resources but because that's the nature of life itself, for few to amass and control huge swathes of capital and so many to compete for whatever little is left.

In Nigeria, it is not hard to find people that are poor, visit any bridge, stay long enough outside any busstop, turn on your Social Media pages or genuinely talk to people and you'd realize that people undergo true hardship (although in a way, even being a Nigerian is true hardship).

I would like to think that Nigerians are charitable people and by our natural compulsion or instincts we love giving but I have found out that due to some reasons we are sceptical of giving to needy people.

 On the bridge at Obanikoro,  there are certain men who have physical challenges but are always cleaning the bridge in exchange for little alms, a little contribution here and there for their own sustenance and more often than not they don't get it.

Male beggar at Obanikoro bridge soliciting help from elderly lady. 

The true skeptic in the average Nigerian would tell you that they don't like giving their money to these people because of tell-tales of people disappearing or misfortune befalling people. after giving money to this people and how they much prefer to give their money to motherless babies and orphanages and in truth that is also a kind as well as noble gesture.

I often find myself thinking that behind that skepticism is not actually these tall tell-tales of misfortune but more a fear that the money you give them would be used for drinking or something along those lines and if we are being honest that is not a falsehood, this people actually drink and use the money for those other activities (Yes, those ones you are thinking of now).

Sometimes, this people are plain rude, in a discussion with one of my friend, she talked about how she had a particularly distasteful encounter with a beggar, while he was requesting her help and she was obviously processing his request, he yanked her drink from her and proceeded to drink it without the slightest sense of remorse and she told of how she felt harrased in that moment.

Needy people are humans too, and there are good humans and bad humans, so the actions of a certain group should not dim your sense of charity, people are needy and you often can provide a little light in their lives.

After watching those beggars at Obanikoro for a while, I approached one of them and dropped 50 Naira in his bowl while mouthing a quiet Well done (in Yoruba of course), he was incredibly gracious, he thanked me and I couldn't but notice the genuine smile on his face.

I obviously wished I could make him comfortable and permanently settled and I often wonder if I can end world poverty or suffering during my random idealist phases, in my realistic moments I realize it is a nigh impossible tasks, however we can give our little mite regardless of where the money is going.

I recently saw a tweet that pointed out that the act of kindness is in the giving not what happens to the gift.

So if you ever see a person in need, don't let wariness or fears cloud your sense of basic decency, give that little thing that might not mean much to you, speak in a warm manner too, sensitivity makes giving all the more better.

Until another time then Amigos, peace and love. Always.


Comments

Popular Posts