MY NIGERIAN METAPHOR


Guys Hi,


This week has been one of my most busiest in my new work place and this had left me pondering what to write about in today's blog post. My work schedule is incredibly busy and it leaves little or no time for the quiet reflections that I enjoy. I no longer live in Lagos,  😔😔😔 and I have to juggle my job with the rigors of living in a new place, for better or worse Lagos is still the best city in Nigeria and I will be back, this is but a very temporary step back from which I shall emerge like a Phoenix. 



Recently I joined my father for a journey back home, I had been shouted at by angry bosses, given death stares and walked under the unkind sun all day at work. I didn't have the time,power or inclination  to deal with the Lagos conductors, passengers and the Alomo drinking and fish eating agbero's (if you know you know), I just wanted a ride in my father's Tokunbo car, a nice nap and a nice bottle of coke, I didn't ask for too much I reckoned, the first stretch of the journey was largely stress-free without any events, ah, today I had escaped the bullish omo-ita's and their wahala, I silently delighted 


Sadly just 5 minutes from home, it happened, the car got stuck in mud 😑😑😑😑, of all days to happen, not today... not today... this thoughts and pleas floated through my mind, I was mentally willing on the car to get out of the ditch, after several attempts at rollicking the car remained stuck and I was convinced that something drastic was needed to be done for this hellish day to come to a peaceful end.


A young chap came along, he was one of the sorts that usually was around the  area and was looking for stipends to just drink and smoke, he volunteered to help us with pushing the car and I immediately heaved a sigh of relief, with renewed vigor he pushed and pushed but yet the car would not move out of the mud. I was already tired and all the thoughts of my bed had vanished by then, so I came down from the car but not before pulling off my shoes and socks, it was time for me to get involved in the situation abeg, When I got down from the car and discovered how deep the mud was I rolled up my shirt and my trousers and now it was time to confront this car.


Long story short, we pushed the car, me and the chap, and finally it moved and even though I was feet-deep in mud and stained and strenuously tired I could not but appreciate the frankly weird situation. (shouts to Glow) 



In hindsight I should have gotten out of the car and pushed the damn car, long ago but out of a sense of self-preservation I didn't and it caused us to stay longer in the mud, take Nigeria as the mud, our nation is in a precarious state and some of us are privileged to be in that car (metaphorically of course) and we cannot be bothered about the problems going on in the nation but ultimately we are in a mud, just look outside the mirror and you'd realize the truth, we can't keep hiding behind our rolled up windows and think someone is coming to save us from sinking, so dear friends roll up your sleeves, pull up your trousers and get things done done.


Peace and love always .


P. S the chap collected 500 naira for "coke"

Comments

Popular Posts